I along with Milan dai, started our US visit on 31st of May 2018. Our flight was late at 11 P.M and we landed at Boston via Dubai on 1st of June at around 2 PM. We grabbed a taxi to our hotel, where we were handed key-cards to our room. After shopping for our groceries, we were treated by a surprise visit by Suresh, Manish, Sushant dai and others at our hotel where we did a lot of catching up with bottles of beer. Then our regular schedule for work started from the next Monday with a similar routine of Abanish dai picking up on mornings and taking an Uber on evenings. First day at the US special was fun, meeting all the US team members who we were working with at the same time. Office there was a very different working environment from what we have here in Nepal, and was a opportunity to learn about the challenges and priorities US team face.
Apart from work, post-work was pretty eventful since we were the 1st deerwalkers living on our own on an extended stay. It was great experience, where we (Milan dai and Hikmat) had to figure out a lot of day to day living challenges on our own like groceries, laundry, cooking and everything. The backyard of the extended stay was pretty happening place where I used to hangout a lot with the other guests there. I made a ton of friends there with the guests, sharing our experiences, talking and drinking through late midnights and waking-up late on the mornings with mild case of hangovers. Apart from the backyard there was a swimming pool which I used occasionally to learn swimming. I was taught swimming by a Puerto Rican called Isreal (everyone called him eazy) and Hikmat, so that was a new skill learn while I was there.
Other than those activity weekdays were filled with good old work with a decent mix of events, sometimes it was baseball game thanks to courtesy of Dave, sometimes it was birthdays, sometime it was Office Drinks and sometimes lunches with Dave/Jeff/Rudra dai. These events always added zing to regular day works. Somehow I managed to piss Dave off by being a LA lakers fans, a direct reaction was he gifted us celtics caps, that also turned out a great deal at the end.
Apart from these regular day experiences I got to travel to quite a few places which gave a different perspective to US visit.
- New York : It was on my 1st week of the visit. Loved the vibe of the city with Jazz music playing at all the bars. Was very interesting to see popular landmarks of the city.
- Boston Downtown : Well visited it quite a lot on “nothing to do” weekends but every visit was very interesting with different aspects of the city revealing everytime. Really had good time in Cambridge side of the city.
- Washington DC : It was on 6th week of my stay. Was there to visit my cousins. DC was very interesting city a contrast to traditional city stereotype.
- Las Vegas : Nothing prepared me to city that Vegas was. Videos and pictures don’t do justice to the city, you really need to experience the craziness that Vegas is. It would be a blog in itself about the vegas trip but in short it was a very most amazing experience from the whole US trip.
- Hampton Beach : A beach day on 4th of July holiday (Independence day) with whole day of sea volleyball, topped off with wonderful fireworks.
Well it was a very fun visit with a lot of people to thank for making it fun stay. Thanks to all the Didi’s for wonderful lunches, dinners treats. Thanks to Dai’s for fun times, rides, talks and all possible support and lastly thanks to Deerwalk for providing a wonderful and enriching experience.
[Prakash Chandra Joshi, Engineering Manager at Deerwalk Services Pvt Ltd. Nepal, visited Deerwalk Inc, USA, from June 1 to July 31, 2018]